• This is a delightful antique Victorian British Postal scales and brass weights. It is a complete set of weights, all clearly photographed. And the charming, engraved brass scales are also complete and in good working order.
• The letter pan to the right is clearly engraved with all the appropriate letter rates. Based on the rates for this period in England, it dates the scales to around 1871.
• 1d – 1oz
1½d – 2oz
2d – 4oz
2½d – 6oz
3d – 8oz
3½d – 10oz
4d – 12oz
which was correct for the years 1871 up to 1897 as those rates did not alter.
• 1 d means 1 penny. The Latin word for penny was denarius. So on my scales in 1871
if you were sending a letter that weighed 1oz. it would cost you 1 penny or 1 d.
• Where the pan scales touch the bottom, there are the original brass protective plates.
• There is a clear stamped marking which states proudly “warranted accurate”
• The scales set on a stand of beech wood, in a lovely serpentine shaped platform, supported by 4 bun feet.
• The scales measure width 9”(23 cm) depth 5”(12.5cm) height 4.5” (11cm)
• There are six brass weights, ranging from 80z.-down to ¼ oz.
Antique Victorian Brass British Postal Scales & Weights, Complete Set
£255 20% Off
You save £51
Overnight Flat Rate Shipping Service (1 working day)
|Est. Tax:||We are unable to obtain a tax quote at this time.|
Shipping options to USA